We’re delighted to offer this country house, near Orvieto in Umbria, for holiday let.
4 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms on two floors
Large swimming pool
Olive grove and fruit orchard
This traditional 18th century stone ‘casale’ was restored in 2001 in keeping with traditional Umbrian country architecture, and modern conveniences have been discreetly added for your comfort. It features exposed stone walls, traditional wood ceilings with handmade ‘cotto’ (terracotta tile); traditional handmade ‘cotto’ floors with a radiant heating system; custom-made windows framed with local ‘travertino’ stone; restored antique doors.
Poilio is located just outside the town of GUARDEA (Umbria), between Todi and Orvieto in a beautiful and peaceful setting overlooking the lake of Alviano – a World Wildlife Fund-protected area for its beauty and rare flora and fauna. Major cultural attractions in Umbria, Tuscany and Lazio are a short and easy drive or train ride away: 30 km to Orvieto, 30 km to Todi, 18 km to Amelia, 100 km to Rome, 150km to Florence. The Rome-Florence highway (A1) and the train station are just 10 minutes away by car (train time to Rome: 1 hour).
The house has two floors, with separate access available if greater privacy and independence are desired. It makes for a large yet very comfortable and cozy living space that can easily accommodate 8 to10 people.
- A large kitchen fully equipped with a microwave oven, two conventional ovens and a cooktop with 5 large burners, a fireplace for cooking, a large antique marble sink, marble countertop, fridge, dishwasher, toaster, electric kettle, Kitchen-aid standing mixer, plenty of cupboards.
- 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms:
- 1 double bed en-suite with Jacuzzi shower
- 1 queen (or twin beds) en-suite with shower
- 1 twin beds with shower
- A large living room with a stone fireplace and French doors that open onto a porch overlooking the lake, television, CD player, pellet stove, iPod docking station.
On the second floor
- 1 bedroom with double bed
- 1 full bathroom with Jacuzzi tub
- a small cooking area with small fridge
- a living room with an antique wood stove
- a small loft with a quiet reading area
- separate indipendent access available to second floor
The five-acre grounds feature olive trees, cherry and other fruit trees as well as elms, oaks, a profusion of yellow broom, lavender, rosmary and various indigenous shrubs. There is also an organic herb and vegetable garden lovingly tended by our gardener, Quinto. Several scenic country footpaths lead from the house to nearby towns.
- Large pool (46 f. X 20f.) in a beautiful setting with a breathtaking view.
- A state-of-the-art gas barbecue for delicious summer “grigliate”(the local butcher sells excellent locally-raised beef, boar, lamb and pork).